Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a salty element that is easily available in most homes. Often baking soda is used to whiten teeth. Teeth whitening can easily be done by bleaching your teeth with peroxides taking the help of an abrasive to remove stains. Baking soda acts as an abrasive that helps lighten and remove stains when applied to your teeth. Baking soda as whitening agent is safe and effective. Please keep in mind that baking soda does not remove deeper stains on your teeth. It can remove coffee and smoking stains, but it will take 5-6 weeks to see results.
Let’s take a look at some advantages and disadvantages of baking soda to whiten teeth.
- Reduces plaque and gingivitis – Bacteria and plaque buildup in our mouth can cause cavities and gingivitis. Baking soda helps reduce the bacteria count and prevent our teeth from plaque and gum damage.
- Reduces bacteria – Baking soda helps you get rid of harmful bacteria in your mouth. Rinse your mouth with water and baking soda to maintain a higher pH level in your mouth. A less acidic pH level will reduce the cavity-causing bacteria in your mouth.
- Fluoride-free – Too much fluoride can cause pain, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney and heart problems. Therefore, choose a toothpaste that has natural ingredients like baking soda, that’s free of fluoride to keep your teeth healthy.
- Affordable – Baking soda is an inexpensive ingredient that is readily available in every grocery store or drugstore.
- Unappealing taste and texture – Many people don’t like the harsh taste and texture of baking soda in their mouth. The texture feels like eating sand, and the taste is quite brittle. If you cannot use baking soda straight on your teeth, look for a toothpaste that has baking soda in it. You can also add 2 drops of peppermint oil to improve the taste of straight baking soda in your mouth.
- Less dramatic whitening – Baking soda is safe for your enamel but shows very light teeth whitening results because it does not remove tough stains.
- Lack of fluoride – Right amount of fluoride prevents dental cavities. Hence, using baking soda in your toothpaste and avoiding fluoride will not protect you from cavity buildup.
What’s the process to get baking soda to whiten teeth?
- Mix it with Water
This is a basic blend of baking soda that helps reduce teeth yellowness. Take a small bowl and add a few drops of water to half a teaspoon of baking soda. Create a paste and apply it to your teeth using a toothbrush or your fingers. Leave for a few minutes and rinse with regular water.
Can you clean your teeth with baking soda? Enhance the cleaning and whitening effect of your toothpaste by adding a pinch of baking soda over it while brushing. You can also buy a toothpaste that contains baking soda as an ingredient.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical bleaching agent that works best for teeth whitening. Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide for teeth whitening works great. Start by adding a teaspoon of baking soda to a half teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in a bowl and mix until a toothpaste-like consistency is formed. Brush your teeth with this mixture and let it sit for about a minute or two. Rinse with tap water. Make sure to use only a three-per cent solution of hydrogen peroxide.
- Lemon Juice
The citric acid present in lemon is an effective bleaching agent. Add half a teaspoon of lime or lemon juice to half a teaspoon of baking soda. Apply the paste to your teeth and brush it with a toothbrush. Wait for a minute and rinse with tap water.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Add a pinch of baking soda to three parts water and one part apple cider vinegar. This is a great teeth-whitening solution. You can also mix it with toothpaste and brush it on your teeth.
- Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is the cheapest teeth whitening ingredient that you can find in the market. It is a good source of lauric acid that helps with weight loss and reducing cholesterol levels. Coconut oil also helps in reducing inflammation and healing gum wounds. Mix a pinch of baking soda, coconut oil and peppermint essential oil and apply the paste to your teeth. This will prevent tooth day and make your teeth whiter.
Cosmetic Teeth Whitening
If you are not satisfied with the results with baking soda as a whitening agent, consider booking an appointment with a professional teeth whitening company. Cosmetic teeth whitening methods can provide stunning results in less time.